You Should Be Drinking More Water – Here's Why
Posted in: HEALTH
Water is essential for life. Without it we simply would not exist. Most of us don’t drink enough water; instead we tend to opt for sugary sodas, energy drinks and coffee. The following reasons will have you carrying a water bottle with you everywhere you go.
Top Reasons to Drink More Water
We often think about eating more fruit and vegetables, but what about consuming more water? You should think of water as an essential nutrient, one which your body craves. Once you feel thirsty you're already showing signs of dehydration. When you drink enough water, it helps to:
1. Maintain Body Fluids
Our bodies are extremely complex. With so many internal systems relying on water, it's important that a balance is achieved. In fact, our bodies are around 60% water. We need fluids in order to digest our food, transport nutrients, maintain a safe body temperature, support circulation and so much more. When you are low on liquids, your brain lets you know by activating a thirst mechanism. Drinking enough water lets you maintain this essential balance.
2. Boost Your Weight-Loss Efforts
It’s pretty obvious that drinking water is a better option than carbonated drinks or juice, especially when you're aiming to lose weight. A single can of pop has around 130 calories – and these are just empty calories with no nutritional value. In comparison, water can help you control the number of calories you consume. It’s also known to aid in your body's metabolism, further supporting your weight-loss efforts.
3. Energise Your Body and Mind
When you're dehydrated you begin to feel rather sluggish and irritable. Technically, water does not provide your body with fuel, but it does help prevent fatigue. If you notice that your urine is fairly dark in colour, then you are dehydrated. This will begin to affect your internal systems and cognition, making you feel more tired and less focused.
4. Aid Digestion
If you have trouble going to the toilet, you may not be drinking enough water. When you're dehydrated your digestive system is affected. Your stool can become hard, making it difficult to pass. Water also helps flush out toxins that can hinder digestion.
5. Support Kidney Health
If you look in the mirror and see a puffy face and dark eyes looking back at you, this could be closely linked to your kidneys. The best way to maintain kidney health is by drinking enough water. Since your kidneys filter out salt, toxins and water from your blood, it is very important that you help them to help you. If you don’t drink enough water your kidneys won’t function as well.
These are just some of the reasons for drinking more water. Overall, you will feel better when you replace coffee, carbonated drinks and fruit juice with water. You’ll also look better and improve your overall health.
Tips for Consuming More Water
We all know that water is good for us, but how do you ensure that you get enough? These five tips will help you drink a minimum of eight cups a day:
1. Invest in a good water bottle: If you invest in a good stainless steel water bottle, you can keep water cold for hours. You're also more likely to carry it with you. If you have a water bottle sitting on your desk at work, it's easy to sip throughout the day.
2. Make a habit of a morning glass: Once you establish routine, behaviours become habits. Each morning, before you have a cup of coffee, brush your hair or get dressed, drink a full glass of water. You’ve been asleep all night, so your body and mind will be craving it. It takes a matter of seconds, but could positively impact your morning.
3. Spruce it up: There's no better way to make your water taste great then to infuse it with fruits, vegetables, herbs, or even edible flowers. Lemons and limes are fairly common, but you can also opt for berries, mint, cucumber, or whatever else you fancy. These additions will also boost the nutritional content of your water.
4. Snack on water: If you recently ate but you feel hungry, you could simply be dehydrated. Instead of reaching for a bag of crisps, curb your appetite with a big glass of cold water.
5. Drink after using the toilet: It's a good rule of thumb to drink a glass of water each time you go to the loo. This will simply help you top up your fluids while maintaining routine. It will soon become second nature.
If you don’t like the water in your area, don't waste your money on bottled water. These bottles are terrible for the environment; there are also some potential issues regarding chemicals from the plastic leaching into the water. Invest in a filter, providing you with an endless supply of clean, beneficial water.
MYC ContributorSubscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles