Yoga’s Health Benefits for Expecting Moms
Posted in: HEALTH
Proven to be an effective stress-reliever, yoga continues to be a calming exercise that almost anyone can practice including moms-to-be. The relaxing postures, composed breathing and peaceful atmosphere inside the yoga studio have been scientifically proven to reduce stress levels and fight depression. Most yoga studios offer different kinds of yoga like ashtanga, vinyasa, bikram while others also offer pre-natal yoga. Knowing the stress and difficulty of pregnancy, yoga practitioners encourage pregnant women to give this light ancient practice a try as it provides several health benefits.
1. It helps reduce stress and anxiety. Although pregnancy is considered to be a wonderful time in a woman’s life, knowing that another human being is growing inside you, undeniably, it is also one of the most stressful ones. The grueling nine months entails irritation, discomfort, bloating, terrible backaches and morning sickness, which others couldn’t just understand. For pregnant women, practicing yoga is a great idea as it helps keep stress level in check. It can also lighten up your mood and enhance your holistic wellbeing thus giving you a happy pregnancy disposition.
2. It keeps you in tip-top shape. During pregnancy, a woman’s body hormones are in a rage. You can be happy one time and turn to a frown in a minute. With this crucial period also comes the unexplained food cravings and weight gain. Being pregnant is no excuse to getting fat and being lazy. Grab your mat and head down to your yoga class as prenatal yoga also keeps you fit and in tiptop shape not only during pregnancy but also helps you shed down the excess weight during post-natal.
3. It relieves tension levels of lower and upper back, hips and shoulders. As that little bundle of joy grows inside you, the stress inside the body is at its toll as more muscles work. Due to the increased size of your tummy, it draws tension around your lower and upper back thus explaining your recurrent backaches. Joining yoga classes however is proven to relieve these tensions as most of prenatal yoga poses are for calming down your worn-out body.
4. It improves sleep. One of the great benefits of yoga is that it improves your sleep. During pregnancy, women might experience a week or so of restlessness and sleep deprivation thus causing an alarm in your mood that might lead to depression. Current studies show that yoga increases the function of the parasympathetic nervous system (the one responsible for sleep activities).
5. It helps pregnant women prepare for labour. It is no secret that yoga facilitates deep breathing which is a practice greatly needed during labor. Prenatal yoga focuses on slow and deep breathing techniques that may help you once you experience shortness of breath during contractions and the dreaded labour.
6. It keeps you and your baby healthy. Doing prenatal yoga also helps prevent health complications during pregnancy. Research shows that practicing prenatal yoga helps reduce high blood pressure, pregnancy-related diabetes while baby has a higher percentage of coming out healthy.
Image via Beauty High
Written by MYC Contributor Jessa Ann Z. Gomez
Posted in: Diet and FitnessSubscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles