Winter Vegetable Soup
Posted in: RECIPE
Craving for soup this weekend? Look no further than by using all of your random veggies stored in your fridge; they'll make for a healthy recipe! You can choose to lighten up the flavor, or go all-out spicey with your savory soup. The choice is yours as long as everything is green and leafy. It’s the perfect soup to perk up your weekend blues. See ingredients and method below:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (or chopped fresh rosemary or thyme)
- 2 bay leaves a few pinches of red chile flakes
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with it’s juice
- 4 (or more) cups veggie broth
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- handful of chopped kale
- optional: grated parmesan cheese
1. Have your veggies ready to go by chopping them all before cooking. Over a medium heat, prepare a large pot and add olive oil. Then add the chopped onion, salt & pepper and cook them until they become translucent.
2. Next, add carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, garlic, oregano, bay leaves and chile flakes. At this point, you can choose to add more salt & pepper to the mix.
3. Cook and stir occasionally until vegetables turn slightly brown.
4. Add the white wine stir and cook until it has nearly evaporated in the mixture.
5. Then add the balsamic vinegar, canned tomatoes, broth and chickpeas into the vegetable mixture. Cover it and reduce heat to let it simmer. Make sure you cook it for at least 30 minutes until carrots and sweet potatoes are tender.
6. During the last 15 minutes of cooking time, stir in the chopped kale. Taste and adjust the seasonings -- add more salt & pepper if you must.
Optional: serve with grated parmesan cheese to add a bit of flavor and yumminess.
Image & Recipe: LoveAndLemons | MYC Writer: Elonah BionedaSubscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles