Vietnamese Pho (Beef Noodle Soup)
Posted in: FOOD
Hungry for something delicious yet exotic? Try cooking up a "Vietnamese Pho" or beef noodle soup. It consists of linguine-shaped noodles, broth, herbs and meat which is either beef or chicken. Vietnamese Pho is actually considered a street food in Vietnam, but it's now treated as a healthy delicacy the world over. You can choose to cook it up for breakfast or for lunch. If you must, see ingredients and method below:
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Yields: Makes 8 Servings
Recipe Type: Main Course
- 1/2 pound flank, london broil, sirloin, sliced
- 2 onions, halved
- 5-6 pounds of good beef bones
- 1 package of Pho Spices, the Pho spices is a combination of cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pod, cloves, and whole star anise
- 4" nub of ginger, sliced
- 6 quarts of water
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 pound of beef
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 big handfuls of fresh bean sprouts
- 1 inch chunk of yellow rock sugar
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 pounds rice noodles, cooked
- 2-3 chili peppers, sliced
- Hoisin sauce
- big handful of each: mint, cilantro, basil
- Sriracha hot sauce
1. On a baking sheet place the onion and ginger. Brush using oil.
2. Broil the onions and gingers over high.
3. Once done turn it over and broil the other side.
4. In a large pot pour cold water and bring the water to a boil.
5. Place in the bones and broil for about 10 minutes.
6. Drain and rinse well, return the bones to the pot.
7. Pour 6 quarts of water into the pot and again bring the mixture to a boil.
8. Now turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
9. Throw in the onion, spice packet, ginger, sugar, salt, beef, fish sauce and cook for about 1.5 hours.
10. Take the beef meat out of the pot and place into plate. Shred it thinly.
11. Continue cooking for another 1.5 hours.
12. Strain the mixture to get rid of any unwanted spices.
13. Return the mixture to the pot again and adjust the seasoning.
14. To serve, place rice noodle into serving bowls, add the shredded beef on top.
15. Pour the broth on top. Serve immediately.
MYC Writer: Romana S.Subscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles