My Menu

Top 6 Rare and Most Expensive Teas in the World

Top 6 Rare and Most Expensive Teas in the World

  • 7.4k

    Feb 03, 2017   Author : admin

Posted in: LIFE AND HOME

Tea has always been part of the dining experience of any culture. According to history, people have been drinking tea since the 10th century (that's how the English love their tea so much) and this practice is quite popular in Asia, too. Believed to bring about medicinal effects such as detox, stress relief, and weight control, tea has been explored in different ways and now has a lot of variants. With the ever growing popularity of teas, lets introduce some of the more expensive tea than the old english breakfast:

The most common variants of tea include green tea, black tea, oolong, and jasmine, and these are usually affordable and readily available in the market. Now, let's focus on the rare and expensive teas which are as exquisite as a price of a new car or a Hermes handbag:

Tienchi Flower

With the scientific name Panax notoginseng with Panax as the Latin word for “cure-all, the Tienchi Flower Tea is considered as one of the healthiest teas in the world. A type of ginseng that grows only in the Yunnan Province in China, this cool minty-flavored tea is believed to treat dizziness, insomnia, and skin rashes because of its detox properties. 

Price: $170 per 1,000g

Gyokuro Tea

Often compared to Sencha tea ,which is a type of unshaded Chinese tea, the Gyokuro tea is actually a shaded green tea that is only cultivated in the Japanese Uji District. With its distinctive rich flavor and aroma, Gyokuro means “jewel dew,” which pertains the green color of the infusion. Before being plucked, the Gyokuro tea is shaded from the sun for two weeks to elevate amino-acids in the leaves. 

Price: $650 per 1,000g

Yellow Gold Tea

The Yellow Gold Tea is one variant that is truly gold because of the way it is harvested. Its leaves can be found in only one area in one mountain in the world and can be harvested only once a year with a golden scissors to cut the tea tree. After being sun dried and turning yellow due to polyphenols, the tea leaves are painted in 24 carat gold, thus making the tea shimmer. 

Price: $3,000 per 1,000g

Vintage Narcissus

More than half a century old, the Narcissus Oolong tea is one of the most exquisite Chinese teas. In the 1960s, it was being exported from China to Singapore until it remained in Hong Kong due to a Malaysian-Chinese collector. Named after the Greek mythological character Narcissus, its leaves are harvested on Mount Wuyin in the Fujian Province in China.

Price: $6,500 per 1,000g

Panda Dung Tea

The Panda Dung tea was discovered by a Chinese entrepreneur, who once grew tea in the Ya’an Mountains in Sichuan. Because pandas eat wild bamboo and only absorb 30% of its nutrients, the other 70% is eliminated through the excrement. Their poo is then used to fertilize the tea trees and is believed as the cause of the tea’s distinctive flavor.

Price: $70,000 per 1,000g

Da Hong Pao

The Da Hong Pao is considered the king of the Chinese teas. A type of Chinese Wuyi Oolong tea, its history can be traced back to the Ming Dynasty. The teas is believed to have cured the illness of the mother a Ming Dynasty emperor who then sent his men to find the origins of the tea. Da Hong Pao is considered a Chinese national treasure and is usually offered as gifts to dignitaries and honorable visitors.

Price: $1.2million per 1,000g

The value of tea is indisputable. Aside from its medicinal properties, its value can be derived from its history and processing methods, which make tea all the more enjoyable for drinking in the afternoon.

Homer has this to say about all of the teas above:

And yes, we totally agree.

Images: Alux.com, Alibabab, Buzzfeed, PekoTea | MYC Writer: Aryanna Martin

All comment (0)
Leave a comment