Soused Fresh Sardine Salad
Posted in: FOOD
Sardines are very flavourful and full of nutrition, yes? This recipe brings out the most savoury side of sardines by grilling them and then marinating them for some time to infuse the flavours. For this fresh salad, the grilled and marinated sardines are served over couscous. See ingredients and method below:
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yields: Makes 4 Servings
Recipe Type: Side Dish
- 410 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 250 g (8½ oz) couscous
- 8 fresh sardines, scaled and heads removed
- 140 g (5 oz) baby spinach leaves
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- 600 ml (1 pint) boiling water
- 2 red peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large courgette, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp butter
- fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- 6 black peppercorns, lightly cracked
- finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 fresh green chili, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic-flavoured olive oil
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat the grill to high heat.
2. Combine the juice and lemon zest into a bowl.
3. Add oil to it and whisk well.
4. Add the chilies, peppercorns, bay leaf and shallot.
5. In an aluminum foil place the lemon slices and the sardines.
6. Brush the marinade on top.
7. Place the foil on the grill and grill for about 2 minutes.
8. Turn the sardines upside down carefully and brush again using the marinade.
9. Grill for another 2 minutes.
10. Place the grilled sardines into a baking dish.
11. Pour the remaining marinade on top and coat the sardines well.
12. Let it chill for 30 minutes.
13. Combine the couscous with turmeric, butter, cayenne pepper and salt into a bowl.
14. Add boiling water on top and let it stand until it gets cooled down.
15. Remove sardines from the fridge.
16. Mix chickpeas, peppers, spring onions and courgette with couscous.
17. Mix well and place the spinach leaves onto serving plates.
18. Add couscous on top and then add in two pieces of sardines on each serving plates.
19. Serve immediately.
Image: Cinnamoneats.com | MYC Writer: Romana S.Subscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles