News Bulletin: 31/7/2015
Posted in: NEW BULLETIN
This week, the world is demonstrating more willpower to counter the phenomenon called ‘ISIS’, while Lord Sewel resigns from the House of Lords after a scandalous video showing him snorting cocaine with prostitutes was released. As usual, Russia once again proves that it’s guilty in the MH17 air crash. And the world lost former Indian president APJ Abdul Kalam at the age of 83. As for tech news, the long-anticipated Windows 10 operating system is now available to be downloaded.
- David Cameron: the UK and Indonesia reach an agreement on countering ISIS.
- Video showing Lord Sewel snorting cocaine with prostitutes shocks the UK.
- David Cameron made the first visit of a British Prime Minister to Vietnam.
- Former Indian president APJ Abdul Kalam, popularly known as the 'People's President', died aged 83 due to cardiac arrest while he attended an event in Shillong, Meghalaya, a North eastern state in India.
- Man dies as over a thousand of migrants attempt to enter the Channel Tunnel in Calais.
- Turkey attacks ISIS and PKK positions in Syria and Iraq in air strikes.
- Russia vetoes UN resolution for international tribunal into the MH17 disaster.
Finance/Business (UK vocabulary)
- Oil giant Royal Dutch Shell cuts 6,500 jobs in an attempt to counter falling oil prices.
- High prices on UK houses are driven up by foreign criminals.
- Chinese factory that made 41,000 fake iPhones has been raided with nine arrests.
- Michel Platini will stand as a candidate for FIFA presidency after Sepp Blatter’s scandalous resignation.
- Tom Brady criticizes NFL for suspending him from games after he destroyed a key evidence in the investigation, a phone with 10,000 text messages.
- Meet the first NFL coach woman! Arizona Cardinals hired Jen Welter.
- Whitney Houston's daughter Bobbi Kristina Brown died at the age of 22.
- Box Office: Marvel's Ant-Man tops the chart with $24 Million.
- UK passed 500 million streams in a week for the first time.
- Microsoft officially released its Windows 10. Is it worth to upgrade?
- Motorola’s Moto XGX: the company presents a number of new cutting-edge smartphones.
- Samsung teases us Galaxy Note 5 launch with this…
This time in History
- July 29: in 1958, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) was established.
- July 27: in 1974, the House Judiciary Committee began the impeachment of U.S. 37th president, Richard M. Nixon.
- July 26: in 1775, the U.S. postal system was established.
Images via bbc.com, EUROPEAN PRESSPHOTO AGENCY, Bullit Marquez/AP, AP
MYC Bulletin Writer Polina Tikhonova
Editor: MYC Editor in Chief Bhawna KochharSubscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles