News Bulletin: 19/6/2015
Posted in: NEW BULLETIN
- EU Referendum bill has reached committee stage. PM David Cameron is pressured by Tory rebels and the SNP.
- Nigel Farage: ‘EU exit would mean Britain could fulfil her global economic potential'
- Michelle Obama campaigns to improve girls' education in the world. The First Lady of the US is now in UK.
- Putin pledges to add 40 new intercontinental ballistic missiles to Russia’s nuclear arsenal this year.
- Al-Qaeda’s No. 2 leader killed by a US drone strike in Yemen.
- Germany says Greece could be forced out of the EU as the country is set to default on a €1.5billion debt.
Finance/Business (UK vocabulary)
- Greek central bank: ‘We are on a painful course to default’.
- French President Hollande says there is not much time left to save Greece.
- UK housing market is believed to have a ‘gentle recovery’.
- Blatter and other top FIFA officials may be questioned in investigation of corruption.
- Cristiano Ronaldo gets a galaxy named after him.
- Neymar’s transfer may be inquired amid Barcelona’s fraud scandal.
- Game of Thrones finishes the season with a shocking finale. Spoiler alert.
- Top Gear’s new host revealed: Chris Evans will replace Jeremy Clarkson.
- Fourth ‘Fifty Shades’ book with Christian Grey’s perspective has been published.
- E3 2015: news, trailers, announcements and many more!
- Fallout 4 gets a release day. Find out more news and watch the trailer.
- Microsoft: Xbox One will soon be backwards compatible with all your old 360 games.
This time in History
- June 18: in 1812, America declared war against Great Britain in response to the British economic blockade of France.
- June 17: in 1885, the dismantled State of Liberty, which was gifted to the Americans by the French people, arrived in New York Harbor.
- June 16: in 1884, the opening the first roller coaster in America at Coney Island, in Brooklyn, New York. After its success, there were hundreds of roller coasters around the country by 1900.
Images via EPA/OLIVIER HOSLET, Independent.co.uk | MYC Bulletin Writer Polina Tikhonova