Koshari: Egyptian Rice and Lentil Pasta
Posted in: RECIPE
An authentic dish from the Egyptian cuisine, this "Egyptian Koshari" recipe is a combination of rice, chick peas, a delicious homemade sauce and macaroni or pasta. It's the perfect meal for when you want to make a delicious brunch or dinner at home whilst binge-watching on Netflix. See ingredients and method below:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Yields: Makes 6 Servings
Recipe Type: Side Dish
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 250g chickpea
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked pasta
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt and black pepper
1. Boil the lentil in salted water for about 20 minutes.
2. When they are tender, stir in the rice to the pot.
3. Cook for only 5 minutes.
4. In another pot cook the pasta in salted water for 8 minutes.
5. When done drain and set aside.
6. In the same pot boil the chickpeas and cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
7. Drain and set aside.
8. In a nonstick pan heat oil and toss the garlic with onion.
9. Reserve some of the roasted onion and garlic into a plate.
10. Add the tomatoes and toss for 3 minutes.
11. Season with salt and pepper and add the chili flakes to it.
12. Toss for about 10 minutes and take off the heat.
13. Plate up by adding the pasta first, following by rice and lentils.
14. Add the tomato mixture. Top with chickpeas. Add the reserved roasted onion and garlic mixture.
Images: DaringGourmet, TeaForTammi | MYC Writer: Romana S.Subscribe to UpdatesRelated Articles